Monday, May 18, 2009

Juvenile Hall Poetry Contest Winners

April was National Poetry Month. Juvenile Hall and the boys ranch had a poetry contest with 46 entries. These are the first, second and third place winners at Juvenile Hall. Congratulations to all the winners, a very talented group of young men.

Caught Up in the Rapture of Literature

I went from surviving the coldest winter ever
to becoming a smart street soldier
I've read books by famous authors like James Patterson
I've read First to Die
now I'm caught in the sequence on 4th of July
Kimani Tru Keysha's drama is like something I went through
who would have thought that a young boy
who wouldn't read unless it had pictures
would become fascinated with Terry Woods' stories
and other inspiring literature
when I read, I learn
what I've achieved I've earned
when I lay on my mat and read from Zane to relax
daydreams come from good scenes
I'm not a photographer
but through a novel, I can picture things
reading is like love, it's good for the soul
when I open up something from Mosley
on an adventure I go
Suzanne, Alison, Nadia and Big Russell
I thank you for keeping the books poppin'
and helping me read 72, not the age
but 72 books, every page
don't judge a book by it's cover,
you gotta read it
and when you finish, on the back there's a picture
you gotta see it

UNTITLED

The wind kisses her skin
with goose bumps
streams of waste flow over
in titanic lumps
oceans part in her sight,
when I'm around her
there is no sadness or blight
she is one love that can do no wrong
addictingly backwards and strong
vocal origami when she speaks
her beauty is awing as crystal peaks
precious is an understatement
her eyes will bring you in an entrapment
many reasons will be bought
but it'll be too late, you will be caught
by the time you realize she sucked you dry
one emotion left, and all you do is cry
a demon, she is on your breath
and her name is Crystal Meth
lost and alone
your family disowned
no one can hear your screams
not even you in between those rare dreams
you feed the flame
there is no one to blame
when you realize, like I
you will hope to bow down and die
one way to save your soul
but you have to give up what has your soul
in the end you will be saved
and all the roads will be paved
doors will open up
your family will be back to raise you up
then the courtship you had will be gone
thrown away and begone
happiness can be yours as it is mine
don't falter, and you'll be fine


Dream Place

I would like to go to a land
where crime does not exist
to a place no man has been
event the dumbest things make sense
to achieve a new goal
you first must attempt
to a place where everything is clean
to a hillside full of green
where the snow is pristine
but this place is just my dream
straight to outer space
to a special place
this life is a race
to a new planet as sweet as cake
when I'm asleep, these are my thoughts
a farm with forever growing crops
without being harassed by the cops
where we live on and life never stops

No comments:

Post a Comment